BBQ "Pulled" Mushroom Sandwich
Prep Time 5 minutes
Cook Time 15 minutes
Total Time 20 minutes
Dietary Restrictions Dairy Free, vegetarian, Vegan
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup maitake mushrooms sliced
- 2 tbsp natural BBQ sauce + splash of water
- 1 pretzel bun or burger bun
- 1 fried egg
- 1 Dr. Praeger's Tex Mex Veggie Burger
- 2 leaves green lettuce
- 1/4 cup sliced carrots
- 1 tbsp mayonnaise
- 1/2 avocado sliced
- If using, prepare Dr. Praeger's Tex Mex Veggie Burger according to package directions.
- Preheat a skillet over medium heat with the olive oil.
- Add the sliced mushrooms and sauté for 3 minutes, until lightly caramelized.
- Add the BBQ sauce and water to the pan and stir to coat the mushrooms.
- Cover, and simmer for 10 mins, or until soft and tender.
- Meanwhile, brush the inside of the burger bun with olive oil, and place on a hot skillet to toast.
- When the mushrooms are tender and sticky, arrange them onto the toasted bun with toppings of choice.
Shiitake or cremini mushrooms will also work, but maitake are ideal.